Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Help for Chiang Mai's Forgotten Boys


Last month while I was out at Sugarloaf working on the Pillar Project, I met my friend Jon Alexander to warm up on some boulders below the parking lot and was very excited to hear about his upcoming photo project.  Some of you have already seen Jon's photography in my post about my new crash pad.


                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander
But climbing photography is a relatively new thing for Jon, and only one of the ways he puts his talents to use.  Much of his experience photographing outdoor sports has revolved around surfing and bodyboarding, such as these photos of local surfers in Limon Dos on the coast of Nicaragua.


                                                                   Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                   Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                   Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                   Photo: Jon Alexander
He even shoots a little biking here and there.


                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander
As good as his "action" photography is though, I've always thought Jon's biggest talent has been his ability to capture human emotion and shots of daily life in places as far away as Panama and Nicaragua...


                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                   Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander
Or only as far as Baltimore.


                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander 
                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander 

                                                                    Photo: Jon Alexander 
Now, Jon is getting ready for his biggest adventure yet... for his upcoming project Chiang Mai's Forgotten Boys, Jon will be travelling to Thailand to showcase the efforts of the Urban Light Center, which is working hard to create alternatives for the boys working in the red light district of Chiang Mai.  Rather than try to explain it all secondhand, I thought it would be best to have Jon tell us about the project in his own words...



Robin- So tell me a bit about the work that the Urban Light Center is doing.
Jon- The Urban Light Center is doing a lot of things. The organization advocates on behalf of the victims of human trafficking, sex slavery and child prostitution. The center, located in Chiang Mai, is dedicated to filling a void where social services and education are missing. The at-risk youth that are neglected by society are being provided with the education and knowledge they will need to remove themselves from the cycle. Alezandra Russell is an awesome person, I have done a few photo gigs for her and I have been following her work for a while now so I decided I need to give a hand and use my skills to help others.

R- And you're going over to take photos documenting their work... What specifically are you hoping to photograph? 
J- I hope to tell a story. I want to document Urban Light's efforts and help them explain how important their work is and provide them with the media they need their campaign. 

The most critical aspect of the project and what I really hope to do, as I believe it will produce the most positive impact, is to tell the stories of the youth. I want to create that human relationship, where one recognizes another as their brother/sister and not an object. Once we recognize our similarities to one another and shed light on the problem that is sexual exploitation, we are making progress.

R- What do you plan to do with the photos after you finish?
J- Pour a big cup of coffee and create a piece of work. I have a few small digital publishers in mind who serve as outlets for small, independent photographers with important stories. I plan to relentlessly pursue them until I find one that will showcase my work with the hopes that this will increase awareness. I know its a brutal process and may take a lot of time but I think its a huge step when it comes to raising awareness and gaining recognition by some of the bigger names in the publishing and photojournalism world.

I also plan to really blast it on the Internet using social media and my network of friends. Its a simple way to increase awareness and generate more donations for UL. I will also be providing UL with all of the media material they need for their campaign. 

I would love to spend a little time away from my project and take in the beauty that I have heard so much about. I have a couple friends who are graphic designers and I want to collaborate with them to create a photo-book that we can sell (and donate proceeds to UL). I plan on creating something really beautiful, a piece that will contrast all of the negative things that are going on. 

R- And you're also using your own talents to further the boys' education?
J- Yea, I have a collection of these awesome little automatic film cameras that I collect. You can pick them up for a couple dollars at most thrift stores and they really create beautiful photos. I'm going to load them up with film and let the boys use them at their own will. Using the fully auto cameras allows one to bypass the technicalities that are often involved with photography and they allow the photographer to simply document what's going on regardless of their skill level. What we do with the photos will depend on the boys' decision but I would like to produce a small gallery of their work, for them. I think it's important they know that they are just as capable as anyone else to create a piece of art. They need to now that they are just important as you and I are in this world and their story counts. I am not overlooking this aspect of the project as the possibilities are really unpredictable and could be quite amazing. 

R- Obviously donations are a priority since none of this can happen without financial support, but how else might people be able to get involved?
J- Word of mouth, especially social media, is an awesome way to help me. To get involved with Urban Light.. well you can head to their Center in Chiang Mai and lend a hand, you can make a personal donation to them and you can tell others. Word of mouth is the single biggest marketing tool one can utilize, you cannot underestimate the power of storytelling and sharing your experiences with others. 

R- Is there anything else you want people to know?
J- I have so much to say but I will try to keep it short. First - thank you for your time and the spotlight on your blog. You're a great friend to have. 

My goal in life is to produce value to others. I want to tell stories and produce positive change. It's no more complex than that and this project is extremely important to me as it a chance for me to do both. Its a chance for everyone to help raise awareness and combat child prostitution. The sexual exploitation of children is disgusting. We can help those fighting against it and I really want to aid in their war. 

Thank you so much for your time, thank you to my friends and everyone who has helped me get this far. 

You can find more information here:

No comments:

Post a Comment