Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring?

Spring is here!  Well, sort of.



Despite the official change of season today, our school system let out three hours early for an ice storm that wasn't even supposed to hit until after midnight tonight, with enough snow forecast tomorrow that my climbing will probably be limited to plastic for a few days.

The last month hasn't been as productive for climbing as I'd wanted, primarily due to getting what turned out to be the flu toward the end of February.  I did manage to make it down to Northwest Branch when I was sick, getting in a couple laps on Crimps if nothing else.  


Even after I felt better and was back to work, it took a long time for my energy level to rebound, with both gym and outdoor sessions being depressingly tiring.  I managed a trip up to Gretna at the beginning of March, perhaps not the best choice after being out late for Emily's gig the night before and having missed dinner because the bar's computer system was down.  While I didn't send anything new, I did get on Adjuster for the first time since hurting myself on it a couple years back and having to be carried back to the car, so at least that was progress.  Mostly I just got in a little bit of therapeutic slab time.


Last weekend I went to Mt. Ephraim with Dana and Srieng to work on a project that a couple of us had tried last year, then went across the road to White Rocks to play on God of Thumbder for a bit.  That thing feels easier every time, but I still love it.


A couple days ago, after two previous attempts being blocked by weather, I made my 69 year old mom skip her usual Sunday gym climbing session to ride the three hours up to Sourlands with me, where I proceeded to drag her through mud pits and up what was basically a ski slope before another half an hour of rock and snow hopping to the boulders.  Son of the year.



As with the last time I went there, the highlight of the day was definitely From NY with Love, one of the most gorgeous slabs I've ever experienced.  So delicate, and a little intimidating with an awkwardly tiered landing, but worth it every time.

                                                                                          Photo: Pennie Close
A little over a month left until our daughter is due, so hopefully I'll get a few more dry days between now and then, but I'll take what I can get.  Happy spring!



No comments:

Post a Comment