Sunday, April 29, 2018

Finishing business

The past few weeks have marked a big shift in my climbing focus, and in life in general.  Whereas all winter long I had focused on training at the gym during the week to take maximum advantage of winter bouldering conditions on weekends, the knowledge that I had only a few more weeks before fatherhood made getting outside at every opportunity that much more of a priority.  Gym days became outside days whenever weather allowed, whether to go out and cross things off my ticklist that I hadn't made it to all winter, or just getting out and enjoying time on old favorites.  As Justin told me when we were at Honey Go Go, "this, right now, is what you're training for."

Last Friday, with our due date coming closer and closer and me feeling more and more nervous about being too far from home, I made the decision to give myself one last day on the rocks before switching gears and enjoying the newly reset bouldering walls at the gym for whatever time I had left.  Looking at my list to see if there were any easier climbs that I could put down quickly and end my season on a good note, I realized I had somehow never finished The Business at Northwest Branch.

It took me a couple minutes to remember what sequence had been working for me when I tried it a few years ago, but then I knocked it out in just a few tries.  For something that wasn't nearly the hardest thing I've climbed in these past few months, it was definitely one of the most satisfying.  On top of being something that I've wanted to do for a long time, it was just so different from anything else down in that area, with tight moves around big slopey bulges instead of just pulling on rough crimps.  After topping out, I went back and did it a few more times just because it was so much fun.



Later that weekend, my wife went into the early stages of labor, and after a long couple days my daughter was born.  So now here I am at the next stage of my life.  True, it might be a few weeks before I actually get back out climbing again, but my plan at least is to keep my workouts up at home with the goal of coming back even stronger.  Kinda hard to put into practice when all I want to do is just stare at her all day.


Still, I remind myself of what a few good climbing dads have told me... that they want their kids to grow up with the example of dads who are strong and still following their passions, even when logistics make it harder than it used to be.  They want to be around for their kids for many many years, and know that staying strong and healthy is such a huge part of that.  And that's what I want for my little girl, not to mention being able to take her out and play without constant fear that I'm going to injure myself.

Yesterday I got back into my morning stretching routine, which felt especially necessary after how tight my back became during our first night with her.  Today I started my first ring workout since she's been born, even though I had to stop for an hour after warming up when she wouldn't let me put her down.  Which is how I started typing this.


Now she's upstairs eating, and I'm running back and forth between my rings and my computer, typing during my rests.  Maybe not the ideal workout plan, but for now it's what I've got.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment