Sunday, October 23, 2011

NWB needs a cleanin'

Two sunny weekends in a row?  Talk about being spoiled!

Although I had high hopes of climbing hard all weekend, I woke up yesterday unable to fully bend my fingers after several runs on a project Friday (more about that later), and decided it was in my best interest to lay low for a bit.  So yesterday was an easy gym day, and today I went down to Northwest Branch with my mom and my sister Becca for a few hours of light bouldering.  Despite never even putting my shoes on, I had a great time climbing amidst the brilliant foliage, running through a few problems in the Tulip area before heading down to Long Wall.









Yet despite the beauty of the leaves, I couldn't help but notice that Northwest Branch is in need of a bit of love.  Thanks in part to runoff from the storms of the last couple months, we saw far more trash than usual collected along the banks, especially mixed into the piles of driftwood.



If only someone would organize some sort of cleanup...  Well, as luck would have it, the Mid Atlantic Climbers are doing just that!  On November 5th, the MAC will be sponsoring a cleanup of Northwest Branch from 9:00-12:00 (check-in at 8:30), with bouldering to follow immediately after.  Unfortunately I'll be unable to attend, as I'll be out in Boulder for the Adventure Film Festival, but I really enjoyed the chance to lend a hand and meet new people the NWB cleanup last year.  And for those of you planning to attend Earth Treks' ABS competition, you'll be able to help with the clean up, hit the boulders for an hour, and still make it up to Timonium in time for the 2:00 check in.  What better way to warm up?

Anyone interested in participating can RSVP to adoptacrag@midatlanticclimbers.org, or for you Facebook users out there, on the "Northwest Branch Adopt-a-Crag" page.  Wish I could be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment