Thursday, July 12, 2012

Countdown to roadtripping

Excessive heat aside, the first half of my summer break has treated me well.  Even in the 100+ degree temps, I've still managed to get out several times for some routes at Sugarloaf, including a 2 1/2 hour session of falling on my gear until I had shaken off any rope-anxiety remaining from Harpers Ferry.  I also got out a couple days ago for my first solid day of bouldering in what feels like forever.

                                                                                            Photo: Dan Montague


When I haven't been climbing, I've been reading, or sitting on my deck having breakfast with the birds...



Sometimes walking in the woods, visiting favorite places that I've made too little time for...



Also hanging out with friends as much as possible, eating plenty of good food, and even managing to get in some much-needed water time.



Other times I've been a bit less active, hanging out on the couch for hours on end, obsessively checking email and Facebook, spending plenty of other time on Mountain Project and Cracked, and occasionally looking up anything that comes to mind on Wikipedia.  Yes a lot of it has been educational, and while I don't really believe in the concept of wasted time, still I feel sometimes like I've begun to live inside a computer screen.


A break in routine will do me some good.  Either tomorrow or the next morning, I'm heading west for a bit. About three days on the road at first, then stopping in Montana to see my sister and one of my childhood best friends, who happen to be living in the same town.  A couple days bouldering in Leavenworth after that, then a visit to a couple more friends on the way up to Squamish.  I was originally going to stay there for a week, but that's now looking like about 4 or 5 days, which is still enough time to get in plenty of bouldering and hopefully a couple long routes and maybe even a good hike.  From there, two more days on the road will bring me down to Colorado for another good week or two visiting family and friends, then back eastward I come.


Maybe I'll find some time to post a couple updates here and there, or maybe I'll just have plenty of catching up to do when I get back.  Either way, should be a fun ride.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Have fun. Let know if you want to borrow any guidebooks.

We'll crank when you get back. I'm in full training mode.
Fall 2012 = Big Season.

Lisa said...

I'll be heading to the Boulder area the first part of August. I hope you'll be there too!

Post a Comment